Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Margot Kidder, Lois Lane

Teri Hatcher (Lois Lane in the TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman) made anti-Filipino remarks in an episode of Desperate Housewives.  The Senate was up in arms, wanting to legislate the removal of the show from Philippine television.  I made sure not to watch the series again.  I’m not angry anymore, but I haven’t re-visited the show.

Amy Adams had a remarkable guesting in the fantasy TV series Charmed (starring Shannen Doherty).  I wasn’t sure then she’d go far in showbiz (which has consistently relied on luck as much as talent), but here she is now, our current Lois Lane.

I was a boy when I first saw Superman fly on the silver screen.  My hormones would rage for Christopher Reeve later when I became aware of myself, but at the time, I just saw him as the most famous superhero who wore his jockey shorts outside his pants.

My memory emporium, however, took in Margot Kidder as THE Lois Lane.  Years ago, videos of Lois Lane auditions were released.  They were all charming, but it was Margot Kidder who blended very well with Christopher Reeve; their chemistry was a magic potion that contributed to the film’s success.  I may very well be self-justifying.  The fact remains, though, that it is Margot Kidder who nailed the role, and it is she that my memories launch whenever “Superman’s girlfriend” is mentioned – likely until the day I die.

=

Margot Kidder passed away on 13 May 2018.

===

Originally published as a comment on Tim Hanley's blog on 17 May 2018, Thursday, at 3:50 a.m. Philippine time; Tim's site shows 16 May 2018, 4:50 p.m.

“Remembering Margot Kidder, A Remarkable Lois Lane and a Remarkable Woman”