Monday, November 5, 2018

Hinata

The top three smuggled goods in the world are drugs, weapons, and animals.

Animals rank highly because they are kept as pets, used for business, served as exotic dishes, and administered as potent medicines.  Many of these animals are endangered, while some are simply exotic without threat of extinction.

I keep a number of exotic, not-at-risk pets, the oldest of which is a squirrel.1

Sometimes I feel sad for Hinata, my squirrel.  I occasionally catch her staring at the ceiling, her body curled in the food bowl, her fingers stuck in her mouth, like a human child in fetal position.  Is gallivanting in an expanse of green field included in her ruminations?

Hinata was caught from the wild at a very young age.  She was around 8 weeks old when I acquired her from Arranque over 2 years ago.

I wonder if she was better off with a custodian other than I.  I wonder if she would have survived the wild if no one had caught her.


I expect it is sad to be forcibly removed from one’s residence, but a pet lover’s desire, more often than not, overrides an animal’s desire for freedom; hence, the high rank of animals as smuggled goods.

I document my pets’ life through photos, and it is apparent my Hinata is aging.

Did or does she want to find her soul mate?  Does she want babies of her own?  Does she consider her life with me as single blessedness or singular penance?

I got Hinata a partner before, but the male squirrel met an accident resulting in its early demise.  Was Hinata ever attracted to the male squirrel?  Is she homosexual like me?

How long do tree squirrels live in captivity?  How long do they live in the wild?  Do we have another 2 or more years together?  The Net does not provide enough data regarding local species.2

Looking at Hinata in her moments of melancholy gives me a sense of foreboding.  I have kept and loved rodents for two decades, and experience dictates that rodents do not last very long.  Rodents in my custody rarely reached 2 years.

Hinata is around the size of or is slightly larger than a rat, and larger rodent breeds last a little bit longer than the smaller ones.


While I worry about Hinata’s life span, I find comfort in the fact that I care for my pets like they are my own flesh and blood.

My pets give me happiness the way no human can.  It is simply fitting to give them what I can while they walk on this gracious earth… with me.

Notes

1Internet search in 2009 returned pictures of Samar squirrels resembling Hinata.

This YouTube video  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ANWAvrpNg> of the Philippine tree squirrel in the Manila Zoo was published on 13 July 2014 by Junar Nabong.  Compare the squirrel on the video with Hinata in the photos.

2I read somewhere before that squirrels can live for as long as 7 years.  My Hinata lived for at least 9.5 years.  I acquired Hinata on 11 April 2009 when she was around 8 weeks old (that makes February 2009 her birth month).  Hinata died today, 5 November 2018.  Hinata is named after the wife (then admirer) of Naruto, possibly the most famous fictional ninja in the world.

About the photos

The first photo shows Hinata at 1 year of age.

The second photo shows Hinata celebrating her 3 years with me.  I let Hinata roam free now and then (with supervision because she liked to gnaw).  I once saw her gnaw through a half-inch thick wood in seconds.

===

Originally written in a slightly different form without the endnotes and without the photos (in Facebook) on 21 April 2011.