Wednesday, April 12, 2017

On Living Alone

Four years ago today (April 12), one of my dearest friends asked me through text:

Pag matutulog ka na sa gabi (When you’re about to sleep at night) and you know you are so alone, how do you feel?

I replied the next day:

Sorry I wasn’t able to reply last night.  I had a patient, then Sir Boy and others arrived.  I read the text at 5 a.m. when I was about to sleep.  I’ve felt alone for most of my life until recently, and I’ve lived alone literally.  Initially, it was very tough being alone.  There was longing to be with someone, anyone who would keep me company and listen to my never-ending ramblings.  It got better though, and it still gets better.  I feel neutral verging on happy when alone or sleeping alone at night.  I do feel sad occasionally especially when memories come barging in without invitation.  I live with the notion that it is not my place in this world to be with someone; it is not my place to be a politician or to be a chef or whatever else I’m not, not now anyhow or maybe not ever.  However, I do believe it is my place to deal with destiny as I see fit.  I somehow feel this is fate.  I occasionally nurture the pain or whatever negative emotions besiege me at night, but being alone doesn’t mean I have to be lonely.  Happiness is ALSO a choice.  And, it takes a lot of practice choosing to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment