Saturday, August 27, 2016

Burden of Memory


2 September 2007
First Sunday of the Month

Beloved,

This afternoon, I opened my e-mail in a cyber café to retrieve a document for printing.  Our printer’s toner spills powder, smudging any document that comes out of its bin.

The man I used to love and I belong to the same Web-based group.  For some reason, I felt compelled to browse through the group and look at his new pictures.

I dreamt of him last night.  That must be what made me look at the pictures.  I almost never dream of people I love.  I only dreamt of him a few times way back when.  I believe it is nature’s way of not giving me too much so as not to hurt or strengthen me more than is necessary.

When I got home, I lovingly thought of the man even though we parted ways in not so friendly terms.  Love, in its veiled treachery, ultimately overcomes the hate and pain.

Recently, I gave 2 weeks’ notice to my employer.  On my last day, my favorite protégé, to my surprise, gave me the windbreaker that I had been eyeing for some time.  Seeing the pictures of someone I used to love and remembering this sweet guy from work made my heart flutter.  Am I in love with the sweet guy from work?  I have yet to wash his windbreaker.  I want to soak myself in his essence as much as I can.  I do not wish to wash that essence away from the garment.  Not just yet.  I still allow myself the fantasy of his body embracing mine whenever I wear his gift.

Fantasies can be willed into being and summoned at any time.  I let go faster when the guy and I never kissed or made love.  There is no burden of memory.  My protégé gave me an enchantment that is hard to break.  While we never had anything romantic while I was at work, his windbreaker will always call upon uninvited memories: memories of my longing, of my wishful thinking.  Fantasies stealthily become memories.

The guy from the Web-based group walked away from my life without looking back.  The scary thing is it is okay with me.  The sweet guy from work, I know I will never have.  Is it sagacity indoctrinated by age?  Or is it “learned hopelessness”?  Or is it because I have always been in love with being in love that I carry this torch song and revel in it?

More men will come and go.  When have I become loving enough that I do not love too much?

Well, c’est la vie.

Thank you for your indulgence.  I wish you a lifetime of joy and wonder!

Always,

Robert

===

The letter was sent to friends via e-mail on noted date.