Wednesday, May 9, 2018

In Memoriam: Dr. Cirilo Bautista

While our memories remain intact, free from Alzheimer’s or any neurologic effects, we remember the words of people who matter.

More than two decades ago, I had to take American Literature as part of the requirements in my bachelor’s degree.  The subject was a major elective.

My AmerLit professor was Dr. Cirilo Bautista, national artist for literature.

Many, if not most, of my classmates were philosophy majors.  My goodness, philosophy students were very eloquent, bright, and they never ran out of reasons.

In one of our classes, Dr. Bautista asked us why the Americans were so open about sex, especially in literature wherein they seemed so sexually active.  I forgot the exact novel or short fiction we were discussing.

The philo majors gave endless reasons.  Everyone of them seemed to outdo each other, unintentionally of course.  I felt I was with graduate students discussing their theses.

I kept quiet in class most of the time.  I liked reading but not discussing.

To my surprise, Dr. Bautista called me.

I am a Pink Archer, but my mind is green, ever and ever.  So, I replied, “Racial integration.”

Dr. Bautista asked, “What about it?”

“The black body was curious with the white body, and the white body was curious with the black body.  So they had sex.”

The class gave an uproarious laugh.  And yes, including our beloved Dr. Bautista.

When the class quieted down, Dr. Bautista told me something I shall never forget, “I like how you think.”

===

In loving memory of
Dr. Cirilo F. Bautista
National Artist for Literature