Friday, June 9, 2017

Organ Playing

Mama saw a man playing the organ in a segment of Eat Bulaga!, the longest running noontime show in the Philippines.  The segment is called All for Juan, Juan for All: Bayanihan of d’ Pipol.

Juan or Juana dela Cruz is the placeholder name for Filipinos.  Bayan is quite generic and means a town, community or country.  Bayanihan means working together for a common goal, for the good of the bayan.

In the show segment, a Juan or Juana from a less fortunate area in the Philippines is chosen and showered with gifts that include cash.

Today’s Juan has an organ in his home and showed his skill in playing the musical instrument to the hosts of the segment.

As the lucky Juan played the organ, Mama asked if I could still play the instrument.

I replied, “Not anymore, Ma.  I haven’t played the organ in decades.  I can’t even read a note these days.”

I then asked Mama the fate of our Yamaha organ.  Mama said it’s kept by my eldest brother.  The organ is being used by my niece who loves music and gives piano lessons.

Mama did not ask for encore, but I gave it anyhow.  I told her, “When I was young, I enjoyed playing the organ without the organ enjoying my playing it.  Now, the organs and notes I play with apparently enjoy my playing with them.”

Mama laughed silently this time, turning her head left and right.

No comments:

Post a Comment