Wednesday, November 30, 2022

An Arrow to the Heart

This afternoon (12 July 2021), while I was talking to a patient, the staff asked me to see an elderly woman who came in because of difficulty breathing.  The old woman was accompanied by her daughter-in-law.
 
I interrupted the consultation with my current patient and approached the old woman.
 
I listened to her lungs and noted crackles all over.  Pneumonia.  She had the look of distress painted all over her.
 
I told the woman to seek emergency care.  Oral medications alone would not help her.  I also suspected COVID-19 but never told the old woman about that possibility.  She was in enough distress as it was.
 
As the old woman prepared to go out the door, she turned her head towards me, smiled, and waved goodbye.
 
I felt that she was waving goodbye not just to me but to the world as well.  I doubt that I would ever see her again, and that breaks my heart.
 
==
 
originally published on my Facebook wall on date indicated